Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Bad Day of Phishing Is Better Than a Good Day of Work

I have been the target of a phishing scam before. Fortunately I was wise enough to avoid it.

Here is the e-mail I received:

Dear Friend ,

My name is Mrs Judith Williams (Mrs Williams is not real, Google her name.) I am 79yrs old of age, i stay at 6618 Flowermound Dr, Sugarland TX 78479 , USA. (Well the address is real at least, Google Maps confirms it!) I am a good merchant , I have several industrial companies and good share in various banks in the world .I spend all my life on investment and corporate business. All the way i lost my husband and two beautiful kids in fatal accident that occur in November 5th 2003.

I am a very greedy woman with all cost i don’t know much and care about people, since when I have an experience of my it difficult to sleep and give rest . (I can understand that in other countries they may not understand our grammar, but since when have periods ever gone a space after the last word?) Later in the year 2004 February i was sent a letter of medical check up, as my personal Doctor testify that i have a lung cancer, which can easily take off my life soon. (The same way an accident with an ax can take off your hand?) I found it uneasy to survive myself, because a lot of investment cannot be run and manage by me again. (It appears she has actually become a threat to herself, which I guess with lung cancer, this does make sense.)

I quickly call up a pastor / prophet to give me positive thinking on this solution, as my adviser. He ministered to me to share my properties ,wealth, to motherless baby/orphanage homes/people that need money for survivor both student that need money/ business men for their investment and for future rising. (A very long, but informative sentence!) So i am writing this letter to people who really need help from me both student in college, to contact me urgently. (That's me! I am a student in college!)

So that i can make available preparation on that especially women of the day, who are divorced by their husband, why they cannot survive the mist of feeding theirself. Please contact me and stop weeping . (You are assuming a lot of my emotions.)

Probably let me now what you really need the money for, and if you can still help me to distribute money to nearest orphanages homes near your town. (For an e-mail with such rush and importance in its tone I find it odd she would suddenly suggest I PROBABLY do it.)

Now am so much with God, am now born again. (I think this counts as using Gods name in vain. Great job!)

May you be blessed, as you reach me, (I may be, but PROBABLY not.)

I will give more information to you as i await your response immediately.

Best Regards ,
Mrs . Judith Williams


My Reply:

Dear, Mrs. Williams,

I am very interested, how may I help? I myself have come into some rather bad times as of late and could use the joy helping others brings. Hope you feel better.

Nick


"Her" Reply:

Dear Nick Jade ,

Sorry for the late response.

Your mail received and noted with every understanding. (Every single one?)

I am on a bed rest here at the hospital and I cannot move around but i really want this fund to be distributed through you.

My money is clean and generated from my late husband company at United Kingdom . I want to give out the money soon because the doctor has told me that i will die soon. (It is true, you can't take it with you.)

I will be going in for an operation soon and I want you to come and see me after this operation. (I would love to! I hope we can stay life long friends!)

Can you come and visit me after the operation here in Harlem Hospital ? (You left your coushy home in Texas to get treatment in Harlem?)

My case is different from what you think so please pray for me for survival after this operation . (Didn't you state earlier it was lung cancer. I am confused!)

I just want to you help me distribute this funds as support from me to Motherless baby home in your state . (I used Reference USA to find the local Mohterless baby home but was unable to.)

The amount in my bank account is $2, 800.000.00 and i want you to keep $800.000.00 with you for business establishment then distribute the rest to charity & motherless homes etc around your state .

My funds was deposited by me at ( Standard Life Bank Plc , United Kingdom ) and i have asked my attorney to proceure an irrevocable Power of Attorney in your favour so that i can sign .

I spoke with the bank manager yesterday and he told me as i am not present in there bank at United Kingdom , my attorney should provide an irrevocable Power of Attorney in your favour so as soon as they receive documents from my attorney Robin Gibbs (Wasn't he in the Bee Gees?) instructing them to wire the funds to you , they will proceed so please comply with them and make sure that the desires of a dying woman are accomplished.

Am hoping and asking for Gods healing, though the doctor said that i must be operated upon, the attached file is my drivers license and passport before i got ill.

Please in your next mail, kindly send Your Full Name and Address .

Your message has been forwarded to my attorney now for proper documentations to enable the UK bank transfer the funds to you .

As soon as my attorney Mr. Robin Gibbs get across to you along with the documents , you will proceed and contact the bank for payment directives so that the bank will transfer the funds to your bank account and after my recovery i will make a way for us two to see and discuss about other way of helping our selves like other international businesses that others can benefit from.

You will have nothing to fear because I will always be there for you. (This is a very moving line.)

I also expect that the mutual trust which I have placed on you will not be neglected, as it is the only way for us to successfully conclude this agreement.

Lastly, always write to me promptly.

I wait for your mail and please reply soonest.

Mrs. Judith Williams.


1 comment:

RefCentral Penguin said...

Great post. Love the letter and the comments.