Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Library 2.0

I think Orlando Memory is important to the library because it places the power of archiving in the hands of the community. For so many years our institution was based on what WE found important. We decided what books people would have access to, what reference material would be on file, and so on. Now we have options like the internet that gives patrons to ability to search their own resources. Orlando Memory is a way for the community to upload what they feel is important. It gives them the tools to permanently put on file their memories.

I am very excited about the direction the library is taking with "Library 2.0" I feel I am in a unique position considering many of the ideas, terms, and technologies that are now becoming the norm in libraries are concepts my generation has been familiar with for a long time. Now I can become an important asset to the organization by utilizing skills that I have been learning on my own before I even realized they could be useful in my business life.

No comments: